Some incomprehensible IELTS answers in a past test, help please!

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Some incomprehensible IELTS answers in a past test, help please!

Hi everybody,

as I will have my IELTS exam quite soon (on this Saturday), I am preparing myself for that. I was practicing with a past IELTS Exam and by checking and comparing the answers in the book with mine, I've got surprised about some answers, which I still consider unacceptable. I hope to find here someone who can explain to me why the answers in the book are the correct ones and not mine. Here the statements and the texts I've considered that would have the answers to the statements (you can find the texts in the attachment as well):

1) Question 3
      TEXT: If any of the following occur, discontinue taking the medicine and contact your doctor: dizziness, vomiting, blurred vision.

STATEMENT: You must stop taking the medicine when you feel better

Answer in the book: NO
      My answer: NOT GIVEN

2) Question 22:
      TEXT: You are eligible for a student loan if you are a UK resident and are attending a full-time Higher Education course, below postgraduate level, or a Postgraduate Certificate in Education course, provided you start your course before your 50th birthday.

STATEMENT: I finish my first degree in July. I've got a place on a Postgraduate Certificate in Education course to start in September. Will the Local Authority pay the tuition fees for this course?

Answer in the book: NOT GIVEN
      My answer: NO

3) Question 24:
      TEXT: Students who want loans ... This means that: ... The amount of your maintenance grant or tuition fees does not matter.

STATEMENT: I've already been given a small scholarship to cover some of my tuition fees. Can I still get a student loan?

Answer in the book: YES

4) Question 35:
      TEXT: No answer found in any paragraph

STATEMENT: Uniforms make employees feel part of a team

5) Question 37:

STATEMENT: Being too smart could have a negative impact on customers.

6) Question 40:

STATEMENT: Clothing companies are planning to offer financial services in the future

I would appreciate any help! :)

Regards
      Dateien
    • Frage 1-3 würde ich genauso wie das Buch beantworten und finde die Antworten auch glasklar :]

Vielleicht hast du nur n Knick in der Denke? (nicht bös gemeint, aber manchmal denkt man komplizierter als es nötig ist? )

Die anderen Antworten... keine Ahnung.

Tipp für Samstag: take it easy and relax... but keep the time in mind.

good luck!
    • Thanks Jessie for the answer. Although I can write in German, I am writing this time in English as a way of practice for the exam ;-). Thanks for your tip!.

For Questions 3 (1) and 22 (2), why do you think they are correct according to the book?.

For Question 3, there is no text given with the information about stopping taking the medicine when you feel better or something like that.

For Question 22, there is information in the text. This says: "You are eligible for a student loan if you are a UK resident and are attending a full-time Higher Education course, below postgraduate level, or a Postgraduate Certificate in Education course..."

So, the statement contradicts the information given in the text. That's why I chose NO.

:)
    • Original von meteoro72
      Thanks Jessie for the answer. Although I can write in German, I am writing this time in English as a way of practice for the exam ;-). Thanks for your tip!.

For Questions 3 (1) and 22 (2), why do you think they are correct according to the book?.

For Question 3, there is no text given with the information about stopping taking the medicine when you feel better or something like that.

i dunno... just... b'cause... It is more a way of thinking than correctness...

if it doesn't say you have to stop taking it when feeling better than the answer is no cause the text said you must stop taking it when you feel sick, nausea ....

Original von meteoro72For Question 22, there is information in the text. This says: "You are eligible for a student loan if you are a UK resident and are attending a full-time Higher Education course, below postgraduate level, or a Postgraduate Certificate in Education course..."

So, the statement contradicts the information given in the text. That's why I chose NO.

:)

question 2 is easy.. : TEXT: You are eligible for a student loan....blahblah...
      statement: blahblah.... Will the Local Authority pay the tuition fees for this course?

two totally different things.... a student loan and tuition fees... so the answer is correctly... not given! (did that help??)

question 3 is also quite clear for me... TEXT: Students who want loans ... This means that: ... The amount of your maintenance grant or tuition fees does not matter. (means you can get maintenance or tuition fees and still get a loan) so the STATEMENT: I've already been given a small scholarship (= maintenance) to cover some of my tuition fees. Can I still get a student loan? (means he gets some money but that doesn't matter for the loan) so the Answer in the book: YES is correct :]

got it? more a way of thinking or picking the right statements...

hope that helps :]

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Jessie ()

• RE: Some incomprehensible IELTS answers in a past test, help please!

Original von meteoro72

1) Question 3
      TEXT: If any of the following occur, discontinue taking the medicine and contact your doctor: dizziness, vomiting, blurred vision.

The statement is incorrect, you should stop taking the medicine immidiately when these side effects occur.

2) Question 22:
      TEXT: You are eligible for a student loan if you are a UK resident and are attending a full-time Higher Education course, below postgraduate level, or a Postgraduate Certificate in Education course, provided you start your course before your 50th birthday.

STATEMENT: I finish my first degree in July. I've got a place on a Postgraduate Certificate in Education course to start in September. Will the Local Authority pay the tuition fees for this course?

Well, are you a UK resident? Do we have enough information?
      Never
      does nature say one thing
      and wisdom another
    • Thanks for the explanation, Jessie.

Yes, I have only one question now. I still disagree with the answer in the book regarding question 3 (1). Sorry, I couldn't understand what you mean with "if it doesn't say you have to stop taking it when feeling better than the answer is no cause the text said you must stop taking it when you feel sick, nausea ....".

The text doesn't say you must stop taking it. It isn't even said "when you are not sick". It is suggested or recommended not to continue taking the medicine if you have nausea, etc.

Thanks daluk for your answer as well.

Kind regards
    • 1) Question 3

Falls es ihnen schwindlig wird, sie sich erbrechen müssen oder die Sicht verschwommen wirkt, dann hören sie auf, die Medizin zu nehmen!

Sie müssen aufhören, die Medizin zu nehmen, wenn sie sich besser fühlen!

Also eindeutig NO!
      ----------------------------------------------------------------
      Wer deutsche Verhältnisse will, muss in Deutschland bleiben!
    • Hi meteo,

you shouldn't think too much about the IELTS-reading-questions. Wile learning for the test I came across quite a few questions where nor answer neither its explanation made any sense. Especially the "not given" ones are sometimes tricky.
      I sat the test twice and managed to score 8.5 in the first and 9 in the 2nd test's reading-part. So as long as most of your answers during your practice are correct it shouldn't be a problem to score 8 or above.

Fingers crossed
      Uli
      [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10765;465/st/20120409/e/final+takeoff+to+OZ/dt/6/k/2c5b/event.png[/img]
    • Original von Minnie Orb
      1) Question 3

Falls es ihnen schwindlig wird, sie sich erbrechen müssen oder die Sicht verschwommen wirkt, dann hören sie auf, die Medizin zu nehmen!

Also eindeutig NO!

Sehe ich nicht so. Ich hätte auch mit "Not Given" geantortet, denn das Statement heißt "Sie müssen aufhören, die Medizin zu nehmen, wenn Sie sich besser fühlen!" was eindeutig nicht durch den Text beantwortet wird. Im Text steht nicht, was man tun muss, wenn man sich besser fühlt, sondern was man tun soll, wenn bestimmte Unzulänglichkeiten auftreten. Statement und Text laufen also aneinander vorbei also "Not Given". Lass mich raten Frieda, du musstest den Test nicht machen? Manche der Fragen sind dort wirklich sehr seltsam und man darf nicht zu viel denken.
      [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10765;465/st/20120409/e/final+takeoff+to+OZ/dt/6/k/2c5b/event.png[/img]
    • Original von Mongobär
      Original von Minnie Orb
      1) Question 3

Also eindeutig NO!

Sehe ich nicht so. Ich hätte auch mit "Not Given" geantortet, denn das Statement heißt "Sie müssen aufhören, die Medizin zu nehmen, wenn Sie sich besser fühlen!" was eindeutig nicht durch den Text beantwortet wird. Im Text steht nicht, was man tun muss, wenn man sich besser fühlt, sondern was man tun soll, wenn bestimmte Unzulänglichkeiten auftreten. Statement und Text laufen also aneinander vorbei also "Not Given". Lass mich raten Frieda, du musstest den Test nicht machen? Manche der Fragen sind dort wirklich sehr seltsam und man darf nicht zu viel denken.

hm also ICH musste den Test sitzen und ... ich stimme eindeutig mit dem Buch überein, kann es aber leider jetzt auch nicht besser erklären warum, als ich es eh schon versucht hab.

Ansonsten ... einfach hingehen, relaxen, die Ärmel hochkrempeln, nicht allzu tiefsinnig nachdenken und los gehts. Bei mir hat es geholfen :D
    • Original von Mongobär
      Lass mich raten Frieda, du musstest den Test nicht machen? Manche der Fragen sind dort wirklich sehr seltsam und man darf nicht zu viel denken.

ja, du hast recht, ich musste den Test nicht machen.
      So wie es aussieht, täte ich an der Fragestellung schon verzweifeln.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------
      Wer deutsche Verhältnisse will, muss in Deutschland bleiben!
    • thanks everyone for the answers and sorry for the delay of mine.
      @Mongobär: I don't know how you got such a high score. Can you give me some tips? did you write the exam here in Australia?.

Wow! my respect. I did the General Training IELTS exam on Saturday, but I have a bad feeling. I sometimes can not understand the British and Australian accent as I had American English at school in my country. I use to be a good writer, but it is difficult for me to write under time pressure. I didn't get the 250 words for the essay and only wrote nonsenses.

Maybe you can give me some advice, how can I improve my Listening, Reading and Writing (here only when it comes to write under time pressure).

@Question for everybody in this forum: as I studied Computer Science in Germany and have a Bachelor Degree. Do you think, it would be recognised as being of a standard comparable to the relevant Australian level qualification?. Did anybody here have experience with that?.

I would appreciate any further answers...

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von meteoro72 ()

• Original von meteoro72
      thanks everyone for the answers and sorry for the delay of mine.
      @Mongobär: I don't know how you got such a high score. Can you give me some tips? did you write the exam here in Australia?.

Hey meteo,

I don't know why I achieved such a high score. I sat the test in Germany (Leipzig) and all I did was practising - a lot of. I had 5 books and sat down every evening for 30-60 minutes. One week before the exam I practised a lot more (up to 8 hours a day). Of course not only reading but all parts of the exam. This is also the only advice I can give you - practise, practise, practise - and especially the parts where you feel most uncomfortable with.
      Many people, native speakers as well, have difficulties in passing the reading-test because people tend to think before answering a question and this is what you should not do in the IELTS :D
      I also had difficulties with the time-limits at the writing-test especially because I'm used to write on keyboards since many years. The last time I used a pen was at school back in the 90's. So the advice is the same, practise it and you'll get faster. For the essay I first created a small mindmap with some points I wanted to include in the text. Basically I noted down my opinion on top of the "map", 3-4 reasons for it below and 1-3 supporting arguments for each reason. It shouldn's take longer than 5mins to set this up. Using that structure I started writing the essay. Some blabla and my opinion in the introduction and one paragraph for each reason with its supporting arguments. A closing sentence to sum up and "fertig is the Laube". :D You can also save time when counting the words. Count the number of words in one line and multiply it by the number of lines you have. You're a lot faster than counting it word by word and you quickly know if you're close to the required amount or not.
      Listening is the same as above. Get yourself a bunch of good books with CDs and practise them over and over. I scored 8 in listening and when I started learning it was just 5. So it just takes a while until you get used to the slangs but it's no rocket-science. During my test I had had to listen to a German lady asking for a hotel room. Quite surprising and amusing.
      If you're looking for recent test-topics you should check ielts-blog.com which I used. There's a section called "recent exams" (or sth like that) where recent test-takers post what questions and topics they had. This gives you a good overview of what can be asked.

Regarding the ACS-assessment I'd propose to open a new topic because we have some more people here who have been assessed by the ACS recently (incl. me ;))
    • ok, thanks for the advice.
      I was searching for more information about migration for work in Australia and according to my search I have only 2 possibilities to apply for a working visa: independently and sponsored by a company. The first requires to pass a 65 points test to be eligible. I only got 45 points as a 6 in IELTS means 0 points ( I probably get a 6 in the last IELTS exam). So, in order to pass the points test I would need an 8 in all modules in an IELTS exam at least, which mark 20 points.

For the second option, some recruitment agencies, through which I've been looking for jobs suitable to my work experience, say that to find a Sponsor is not easy, because most of the companies look for applicants who are resident in Australia. Here a points test is not required and a 6 is OK.

Maybe I should forget the idea of applying for a visa to this country and continue my life in Germany. I feel sad.
    • Original von meteoro72
      ok, thanks for the advice.
      I was searching for more information about migration for work in Australia and according to my search I have only 2 possibilities to apply for a working visa: independently and sponsored by a company. The first requires to pass a 65 points test to be eligible. I only got 45 points as a 6 in IELTS means 0 points ( I probably get a 6 in the last IELTS exam). So, in order to pass the points test I would need an 8 in all modules in an IELTS exam at least, which mark 20 points.

For the second option, some recruitment agencies, through which I've been looking for jobs suitable to my work experience, say that to find a Sponsor is not easy, because most of the companies look for applicants who are resident in Australia. Here a points test is not required and a 6 is OK.

Maybe I should forget the idea of applying for a visa to this country and continue my life in Germany. I feel sad.

Honestly, scoring 8 in IELTS should be pretty easy for you. Just sit down and practise a lot and will be a piece of cake. You're halfway there when you know how the test works and what you can grab points for. Just be well prepared and for you, being a native speaker if I got you right, this test should be easy-peasy.
    • Hi meteoro,

I would like to recommend you the following:

1. Don't be sad but fight for your dreams! Seriously you have to decide what is important for you and how much effort you would like to put to achive your dreams.
      2. Practice your English with focus on the IELTS: at least 4 weeks in advance, 2 hours a day. You need to feel the pain in your hands :-).
      3. Make another IELTS
      4. Apply for a visa subclass 176 or 175

Cheers
      K.
      Seit 24/04/2012 in Sydney
    • @Mongobär: thanks for your tip once again! :-). The point is that I am not an English native speaker. My native language is Spanish. I am going to a language school here in Brisbane in order to improve my English. They put me in the Advanced Class, where I've been going since August this year. Getting an 8 would be really hard.

@kah77: thanks for your advice and for trying to give me the courage I need for a resit in the IELTS exam. I think one needs not only good English knowledge but also good analytical sense and creativity for this kind of Exams in order to get an 8.
      I will think about these things today :-).