The real Australian slang discussion!

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• The real Australian slang discussion!

OK :)

Now we are going to learn a little bit about Australian slang. There are websites about the topic, but they aren't all good.

First of all, let's begin with some vocabulary.

I've found a wordlist compiled by a German. There are a few mistakes, which we can talk about, but overall it's pretty good!

Check it out - Australian slang->Deutsch wordlist

Let's use this as a bit of a guide to begin with, shall we? :)

Feel free to make comments or ask questions!
    • ok.. later we can send a link to this thread to the wordlist author.. :)

I agree, 'dodgy' should definitely be there!

so, Torsten, how would you translate 'dodgy' into Deutsch?

In English, perhaps: untrustworthy, suspicious, unreliable, sometimes used for 'poor quality'.

Examples:

'That meat in the fridge looks a bit dodgy!' (The meat looks like it might be too old!)

'He's a pretty dodgy fella' (You can't/shouldn't trust him)

'The light in the dunny is a bit dodgy, so you should take a torch!' (Somtimes the light in the WC doesn't work)

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 4 mal editiert, zuletzt von Bunyip Bluegum ()

• habs nur bis " B " geschafft
      Budgie Smuggler is misising

Bunghole [ Fresse , Mund ] , only ever used the word for the lower orifice =)

========
      Bluey , took me years to get this one , nickname for someone with red hair

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von Marty Oz ()

• That's right! I also noticed - budgie smugglers (speedos - men's swimwear) should be there. Another slang word for 'budgie smugglers' is 'dick-stickers'. Also togs, sluggos, cozzies (short for 'swimming costume'). Note that 'budgie-smugglers' or 'dick-stickers' is only the name for the item of clothing, not for the men wearing them!

I agree that 'Bunghole' is usually.. ehm.. at the opposite end!

The word 'Cakehole' is used for the mouth. For example 'Shut your cakehole!' (Halt's Maul!)

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Bunyip Bluegum ()

• It is often used in that way.

Also, the word 'as' is often placed after it.

For example: 'Many Australian politicians are as dodgy as.'

This is short for phrases such as 'dodgy as hell', 'dodgy as anything' or 'dodgy as f...k.'

• 'Dipstick' is also common, and should probably be on the list. :)

For those of you who don't know what 'dipstick' means.. normally it means 'Ölmessstab', like in your car engine, but in Australian slang it basically just means the same as dickhead, or wanker..

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von Bunyip Bluegum ()

• 'Ape-shit' is another suggestion for the list.

It's used in a couple of different ways.

E.g.

1. 'That's apeshit!' (That's awesome/fantastic!)

2. 'He went absolutely apeshit!' (überschnappen)
    • Things which were missing (but no swearing) ;)

crazy = off his rocker
      have all needs attended to = waited on handed and foot
      unhappy/discontented = fed up
      something ugly to look at = eyesore
      thinks that she/he is superior to others = stuck up
      the busy competition of city life = rat race
      greatly irritates me = drive me up the wall
      behaved very informally = let their hair down
      died = passed away
      call me = drop me a line
      not something that interests me = not my cup of tea
      a lot of noise = racket
      ignored me = gave me a cold shoulder
      curious (in an impolite way) = nosy
      a person who wants to know what everybody is doing = sticky beak
      don't get upset - don't get your knickers in a twist
      Gruss Edna
      The Golden Years: When Actions Creak Louder Than Words.
    • Thanks Edna... and I would add to that - 'bonkers' - another word for crazy :)

Regarding swearing, I would say that Australians are on average quite heavy users of bad language!

I would now like to show everyone an interesting article about how Australian slang (or 'Strine') developed. It contrasts 'American English' with 'Australian English', and some of the early influences on Australian slang:

'Strine' - The world's most advanced English dialect.

From the website 'Convict Creations':
      "Most importantly, the cockney origins of Strine give Australians a strong ability to invent and comprehend novel idioms. This is the most difficult skill of speaking English but also the most important. Idioms are like poetry. They add visual imagery to a sentence to enhance its power and emotive appeal. Without them, English speakers can communicate no better than a ten-year-old."

One of the biggest influences on Australian slang was the English cockney dialect - from the 'working class' of London. A large percentage of convicts were poor people taken from the streets of London for small crimes such as pick-pocketing, stealing food, and prostitution. Britain sent a total of around 160,000 convicts to Australia during the first 80 years of settlement.

To read about Cockney (auf Deutsch), click here.

It's important to realise however, that many Australians, particularly those who are highly educated or who come from non-British backgrounds, don't often use this kind of slang.

These days, many Australians also use a lot of American slang, which of course mostly comes from television, Hollywood and popular music.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 5 mal editiert, zuletzt von Bunyip Bluegum ()

• G´day
      i dunno what i should belive.
      some people say this word means this,others say, no its that.
      i read some where the sentence, wrap your bunghole around that sanger.
      but if bunghole means a..hole,that don´t make sense.
      i miss this words.
      dag
      bingle
      cooee
      cook
      she´ll be apples
      howsitgoing
      how does rhyming slang works?
      how do i say G´day ?
      i say it like gäday.

regards roo :)
    • G'day Roo..

Meaning of 'Bunghole'. Don't worry about it - it should be clear from the context!

G'day is pronounced with a short, hard 'G' followed by 'day'.

I have never heard the word 'bingle' before - what does it mean?! :)

And what about 'cook?' I don't understand.. maybe you mean a similar word with a slightly different spelling..?

Rhyming slang:
      "Traditional Cockney rhyming slang works by taking two words that are related through a short phrase and using the first word to stand for a word that rhymes with the second. For instance, "boat" means "face" as "boat race" rhymes with face. Similarly "plates" means "feet" ("plates of meat"), and bread means "money" (bread and honey)."

• G´day Bunyip Bluegum.
      i have heard that bingle means accedent.
      there was an aussie car,which had the nickname one bingle car.
      i reckon cook is rhyming slang. look cook. take a cook.
      i read about it on an ozzie hompage.
      do i get it right?
      if i say to someone , i punsh ya boat,that means i punsh ya face????
      roo
    • Hi! I just read this little story by the first link. I thougt an Italien is a "Wog/k?" or so and not a "itie" I never heard of this the same is with "billy" I just heard "cattle" for this word. The rest is cool. I like to hear the slang.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Dresdendoll ()