'Mates'

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• In Australia, we only say 'mates' in the possessive form, for example:

"My mates are down at the pub."

"His mates are all good blokes"

"They are all mates of mine"

We never say "G'day mates"!

So, here's a tip:

When speaking to one person - "G'day", or "G'day mate"

Plural (more than one person) - "G'day", "G'day fellas" (when talking to a group of men)

If there are both men and women in the group - "G'day" or "G'day everyone"

If you are not sure, just say "G'day" :)

There an Australian song that goes:

"G'day, g'day
      And how're ya goin'?
      How do ya feel, and what's yer name?
      G'day, g'day, and how're ya go-oin'?
      G'day, g'day, g'day, g'day"..

See ya later.. :)
    • The words of my English Teacher (here in Perth) are engraved in my brain: "don't use Australian slang when you can't talk like an Australian. It sounds terrible, but noone is going to tell you."

Can you confirm that, Evan?
      Gruss Edna
      The Golden Years: When Actions Creak Louder Than Words.
    • Yea righto no worries cobber!
      Unfortunately we are embracing the stupid USA culture. Now most young people even girls say "hi guys" to each other.
      I dislike newspeak like:
      "this point in time"...."proactive"...."at grassroot level"...." ball park figure"...."tuff ask"...."swimm or athletic meet"....nouns becoming verbs, like"strechered off"or Joe Bloggs "medalled" at the games. Or Aussies pronouncing badly like "plice" for police,"medcin" for medicin, "febry" for February etc. I could go on and on but bugger, I'am gonna crack a tinny, cheers mate or fellas or sheilas :))
      Dislexsics: a) Dislexsics are teople poo! b) Dislexsics of the world untie! c) Dislexsic agnostics don't believe in a dog!